Carlos Beltran stepped down as Mets manager on Thursday, The Post’s Joel Sherman confirmed. It comes less than three months after appointing him manager and just days after MLB confirmed his involvement in the Astros’ cheating saga as a player in 2017. The initial story in The Athletic about the Astros’ sign-stealing operation did not come out until after Beltran was hired and introduced as manager, meaning it may not have been discussed during the interview process. Beltran, 42, had been on shaky ground since the league revealed Monday that he played a pivotal role in the Astros’ sign-stealing scandal, as a player during the 2017 championship season.

On Tuesday, the Red Sox canned manager, Alex Cora, who has not yet been punished by the league, as he was a bench coach with Houston in 2017 and helped orchestrate the cheating, which included a center field camera that helped relay pitchers’ signs to the Astros’ dugout. MLB determined Houston illegally stole signs in 2017, including the postseason, as well as part of 2018. Beltran told the New York Post in November that he was unaware of the camera in center field.

Earlier in the offseason, GM Brodie Van Wagenen said he didn’t expect the investigation to impact Beltran’s standing as Mets manager. But everything changed following MLB’s explosive findings.

Now, Beltran is out before managing a single game for the Mets, done in along with two other managers and a GM by a scandal that once had nothing to do with the Mets and now has everything to do with them.

Potential replacements to keep an eye on could be former manager, Terry Collins (now an advisor to Van Wagenen), quality control coach Luis Rojas, and current bench coach, Hensley Meulens, who could also be a candidate to replace Cora in Boston.